Thursday, April 15, 2010

Endless Tank or Running on Empty?

Day: 359

Goal: Make the pain go away!

Ok, so yesterday was one of those rare days when I have a bit of a low point. It could have been worse, in fact it has been worse before, and it will be worse eventually again, but usually it’s a 1-2 day thing and I can recover stronger and more motivated…. Alas, it’s a 2 day low point on this occasion. It’s just been a rough week.

“Real” work has been a nightmare… it’s been a nightmare for a little while now, but during conference season it’s especially nightmare-ish. Don’t know if I’ve mentioned what I do for a real living, but in case you don’t know, I’m a scientist by day. My title is: Neonatal Research Associate. I work in Neonatology at UCLA studying why our littlest babies are so sick. I could go on and on about this topic, but I’ll spare you the details and just say that while it’s great that technology and advancements in medicine are allowing us to keep even the tiniest preemies alive, these little guys come with a lot more problems that can last them their whole lives. I dare to ask the tough question: At what cost are we saving lives? With the hope that I can help correct the problems that we create by saving them. It’s a pretty rad gig. Anyway, lately we’ve just had a lot on our plates in terms of many different studies happening concurrently, and very little man-power to do it all. Research is a cutthroat field in which, time is money, money equals results, and results take time… and its all race of who can get it done first because there is only so much money… it’s a vicious circle. Needless to say, my day job = nightmare right now.

Tonight we had rehearsal for “All Shook Up”. I was working on “Let Yourself Go” with some of my favorites J I get to do stuff a little sassier in this number so it was a nice release after a long day. Getting to work with some of my advanced dancers always gets me thinking about starting a dance company (30 Bucket #3). It would be so great to have artistic freedom. I would love love love to get this going sooner rather than later! My boss and I were suppose to have a meeting this week, which is now postponed until next week, but my hope is to be able to chat with her a little about whether or not she wants to be a part of making this happen. I’ve been talking to her about it for almost 2 years now, so hopefully she is ready to help me make this a reality! I think it would be a great NEW avenue for some of our kids and the company in general, so everyone think happy thoughts and good vibes that when we chat next week she’ll jump on board!

Lastly little note… I’m feeling like there is no relief in sight for my busy schedule. It feels like I will be working 8-day weeks for the next year at least and that’s a little scary. I have a couple of vacations planned and I guess I will just have to keep those active in my motivation to keep moving, but it is a little overwhelming to be going full speed ALL THE TIME. A part of me feels like I’m on an endless tank of gas, so it’s no big deal, but, at this point, if I get a flat tire… I’m screwed.

Things to look forward to:

CdC Gala, conference, Kasey’s graduation, Stagecoach, Yoga, Brew Co. boyfriend, payday.

No comments:

Post a Comment