Thursday, April 8, 2010

The Countdown Begins


Day: 365
Goal: Create a blog about my bucket list before I turn 30


So… I’ve been meaning to do this for awhile. I have a lot to say, a lot of ideas, a lot of experience, and a lot of questions; I’ve always thought, “what better way to express yourself, than in a blog?” Ok, that’s not true at all… I just thought of this about a month ago, but needed a good reason to start.

Well, truly there is no better time than right after a birthday. Not necessarily a mileston-ic birthday (can I say that? I guess I can say what I want right? It’s my blog), not necessarily a milestonic birthday, but one with a lot of weight behind it. Turning 29 has begun a sort of countdown for me. A timer that can not be stopped, and that will alarm with all clarity in exactly 365 days that I will be the dreaded 3-0. Thirty.

I’m not sure when and who decided that 30 was the death age, but somehow it has stuck that once you turn 30, things change: you’re truly an adult. You should be in the married zone (a range of years that include meeting the “one”, being engaged, getting married, being married, having kids, and trying desperately to keep your zone away from divorce…) You should have a career. You should “own” something (car, house, timeshare, a massive collection of rare artifacts, a subscription to a noteworthy “club”, a pet, etc.). You should no long need to depend on parents for anything including bills, taxes, insurance, room, board, vacations, egg making, laundry, or killing of spiders (these last three are proven to be very tough for me… ). And lastly, you can no longer blame your appearance on “college”… the freshman 15 should be long gone and if none of the aforementioned are yet in effect, you better have a bangin’ body to fall back on!

Ok, are we seeing why 30 is a little daunting? Comparable to death…?? I sure hope not because I’ve been practicing a very peaceful shavasana that should make death peaceful compared to the panic of turning 30.

So my countdown to 30 begins today… 365 days until Armageddon. Ok maybe not that dramatic, but that’s exactly why I want to write this blog. I want to turn what I’ve always thought to be the most dreaded day of my life into something to look forward to… something positive! I want to attach goals to this day like I’ve never accomplished before!! A sort of “bucket list” to my twenties… “things to do before they die”. And I just want to be genuinely excited to turn 30. I figured if I chronicle my progress in a blog, maybe it will help… maybe seeing my goals put out into the void will make them tangible (or much further away… oops, hope that doesn’t backfire)… hopefully I can gain some support on my endeavors, and maybe I can inspire others to flip their image of 30 and join me on my mission to make 30 the best thing that’s ever happened to me…themUS!

Tomorrow's Goal: Nail down the 30 Bucket - list of 30 things I want to accomplish before I turn 30

2 comments:

  1. I love this!! Good job on your first blog entry!! -Monica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that you're doing this, and can't wait to follow the adventures! So sorry that I completely went daffy about your birthday. I'm pretty lame these days... But Happy 29!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete